Saturday, January 3, 2009

I Learned This Online

While surfing the net to look for gardening tips, I was sidetracked and found some recipes too. That's often happens, and reason why sometimes you can reallly spend hours online, as I'm sure some of you agrees with me.

I stumbled upon a photopage entry on this traditional malay cake, Serimuka. Hey, it lookes pretty easy, and the writer also mentined she used the pandan leaves behind her house. And guess what? I also have lots of pandan leaves in my backyard. Sorry I forgot to save her web address, but I think her name is Liza. Here is the recipe.

SERIMUKA

Layer: A
2 cups glutinous rice
2 1/2 cup coconut milk
A pinch of salt

Layer: B
2 cups of thick coconut milk
2 cups of pandan juice (+ some green food colouring)
1 cup of sugar
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp custard powder
1 egg
A pinch of salt

Ingredient A
1. Clean the glutinous rice and soak for a few hours.
2. Steam until the rice turns soft and cooked.
3. Press the cooked rice until it becomes nice and solid.

Ingredient B
1. Mix the top layer ingredients together. Sift it out to get a smooth blend.
2. Pour nicely over the bottom layer.
3. Steam again for about 30 minutes.
4. Once cooked, cool it first, before cutting into pieces.

Ta daaa..... almost half eaten entry! Not too perfect result, but delicious all the same. Actually the bottom layer is a bit too soft and doesn't cut well. I guess you need to lessen the liquid content, or maybe its just still too hot to cut. Everybody was hungry...lol!


And here's the source of the pandan juice that graced the top layer of the cake. So far, it had helped me to cook nasi lemak, bubur caca, bubur kacang hijau, pandan chicken, etc.

And yes, when one of my cabinet got this certain musty smell, I just place one or two leaves there to get rid of the smell. And when I took home a whole loads of durian from my friends house/orchard in the car, this leaves helps eleviate the strong odour from tha car faster.

This special plant also have some medicinal values. It was used as bath extracts for women under confinement, and also good for hair. Also used to treat diabetics, joints and muscle pain. Some mid-wife adds this ingredient to their massage oil for that aromatic and medicinal qualities.

I just noticed that there are new sprouts of young batches at the bottom of this plant. Cool, because some of the plants I see end up growing tall and skinny after repeatedly being harvested. Then I learned that what you can do about it, is to cut off the top portion and replant it on the ground, while the stump will regrow with new leaves. You will end up with two plants, too!

8 comments:

Chahya said...

YD,
for more tips and things you can do with pandan, you may want to have a look at my previous posts in June 2008. Here's the links:

http://chahyacandle.blogspot.com/2008/06/when-boredom-hits.html

http://chahyacandle.blogspot.com/2008/06/pandan-again.html

Ridzzy said...

YD

That happens to be my favourite malay kuih! :P~~~
That pic of the end results look like you did a pretty good job

Ydiana said...

Chahya

I love the idea of having the indoor pandan as you suggested! I will certainly do it asap, and maybe use a crystal gel instead of soil for decor. Then it'll be a great indoor plant, cum decorative item and a fragrancer...howzat!

Ydiana said...

Hi Riddzy

Good morning! Auww...I still have some leftover, except you are too far away in Ampang. ;)

Try it, Ridz. It was so easy!

Saya... said...

Adoi, my fav too...sedapnyer...my blood sugar rising just looking at it...

Ydiana said...

Hi Tehsin

Tak pe, blood sugar raised viftually jek. No harm done. In fact resepi ni tak pakai banyak gula pun ;)

Lee said...

Hello Ydiana, Serimuka happens to be one of my favorite kuehs.
Only last week a friend made it for Christmas party dinner. Saya polished off lima pieces, ha ha.
Ada lagi your serimuka? Tiga boleh, ha ha. Lee.

Ydiana said...

Hi Lee

For you, I can give 3 big plates, anytime! Just let me know when...:)

This recipe is pretty easy, your wife can get all the ingredients from the asian food store. Pandan tu, ada in essence dalam botol. Better still, you should suprise her one day and buat sendiri for her!