Monday, May 18, 2009

New Hobby To Stay

My newfound hobby is here to stay. I have been busy in the kitchen after sending the last maid home. I have not been applying for a new maid yet, but it has to be soon. Getting to feel the stretch now. In the meantime, I'm still enjoying my kitchen all to myself...haha. Who said you don't need a break from a maid? Lol...lol

I just read Mamafami's blog this morning and saw this mouth-watering sardine rolls. My favourite! And looking at the ingredients, check! All are available. Actually I just did a round of sardine rolls 2 weeks ago. But you can never have enough sardine rolls if you are a fan like me.


Different sizes rolls! :)

SARDINE ROLL

Source : Mamafami (Kak Teh)

PASTRY

250 gm cold butter

500 gm flourA pinch of salt

Chilled water from the refrigerator

Method :

1. Rub butter and flour with a pinch of salt till it resembles breadcrumbs.

2. Add in chilled water until a soft dough is formed.

3. Cover the dough with cling flim and keep in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.

FILLING

1 can of sardine in tomato sauce!

onion ~ diced

Red chillie ~ diced

Lemon/Calamansi juice

Salt to taste

Method :

1. Mashed the sardines and mix with the diced ingredients.

2. Add in a bit of tomato sauce if you find it too dry.

3. Squeeze some calamansi juice.

TO PREPARE THE ROLL

1. Place a portion of the dough in between two plastic sheets.

2. Roll the dough thinly.

3. Cut to small squares.

4. Place the filling in the middle.

5. Roll it and arrange on the baking tray.

6. Egg wash the rolls. (Better use egg yolk. Mine looked pale)

7. Bake in a preheated oven at 170C for 4o minutes or till golden brown. (Mine takes about 20 minutes)

Well, over the last two weeks, I've been experimenting with some cookies with some repeats of success as well as not-so-successful attempts, gearing up for the next festive Raya season. Still a few more months to go, but I just need to 'practise' and ensure that the recipes are workable. If not, bulan puasa penat2 tak jadi...alahai! This year most of my cookies will be home-made. That's my last Raya resolution that I intended to keep. Haha...Seriously!


And here's my XXL Pizza!

Its the size of the width of the oven. In fact, it is the oven tray..lol!

As usual, my blurred result. I think I need a DSLR camera now! Haha!



And seriously, I don't have a clue what this DSLR camera is all about except it can take good close ups. Time for googling again! (And maybe do a DIY food studio I saw in one of the blogs food photography....oooohhhh, get real, Ydiana! Lol!)And there goes the cute colourful Sony camera that I've been eyeing, (can't decide if it should be red, pink, or green) small and slim and handy for the handbag...

16 comments:

MamaFaMi said...

Wah rajinnya mencuba buat sardine rolls ya. Hope you enjoyed baking and eating it ya... Waduh pizza tu pun, buat ma menetes airliur je!

Ydiana said...

Hi Mamafami

Nak makan, kena rajinla... haha! Tengok sardine rolls kat rumah Mama tu mengancam betul! My mengaji friend pun semua suka and minta resipi...! :)

Anya said...

Yummieeeeeee
Kareltje heard Sardine LOL
Its always nice to cook ,
I love it also :)
purrss andd greetz Kareltje & Anya

Ydiana said...

Hello Anya!

Kareltje loves sardines? I'll save a few rolls for him the next time I make it!

Love cooking? For me, sometimes I love it, sometimes I don't. Honestly! Depends on my moods and menus..lol!

Gattina said...

It all looks very yummy to me to eat but not to prepare, lol ! I have become very very lazy !
See you next time for COTs.

Anya said...

Thanks for the sardines LOL
purrss Kareltje

When I looked at my blog this morning, by my last post, the picture was gone :(
I had delete it !!
Now I have delete your comment sorry ;(
Do you now what I mean !!
I have make a new post :)
I hope you understand ^__^
Have a nice day

Anya :)

Chahya said...

Great!
Dont you ever delete this post...coz I surely will come back to refer to this.

If we ever meet,...can I request for this Pizza? *Drooling* Bestnya...

Pam said...

That pizza looks yummy! I enjoyed cooking much more before I had picky children.
I don't think Sassie is a persian mix. Her former owners just told us she was a mixed breed. She looked just like her brothers, sisters, grandparents, and parents though!
I'm sorry you lost Toffee. When we first moved to my new house, our cat Icy (who was deaf) ran outside one day and got hit by a car. I was devastated. : (

Ydiana said...

Hi Gattina

Yes, eating is easier than cooking! Haha! I'll 'see' you on COT next week. :)

Ydiana said...

Hey Anya

No worries! Just have fun, k!

Ydiana said...

Hello Chahya

Hehe...so far, I haven't got a reason to delete any entry yet, I think? So don't worry about it. This blog is here to stay. Just a question of active or not je. :)

The pizza, insyaAllah!

Ydiana said...

Hi Pam

Picky children requires more efforts and creativity...lol! Sounds like a demanding job, eh!

Yes, I really missed Toffee! Can't forget how horrified he looked when we let him in the house and he saw strange people (we had visitors) and environment and ran out the opened door! :(

Ellen Whyte said...

I see you're cooking _ when do we get part 2 of Minty's story?

Ydiana said...

Hi Katz

Oh..I am supposed to post it on Cot tuesday, but was out almost the whole day. Next Cot, I promise! :)

Anya said...

Have a nice weekend :)
Kareltje & Anya (@^.^@)

Ydiana said...

Thank you Anya!

You have a great weekend too, with Kareltje!